Try looking here:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/gionpeters/hhhh/pb1400.htm

This site is obviously a 1400, but it sounds like a very similar problem to
what you are having. Scroll down to almost the very bottom of the page,
(past all the over clocking stuff...) where he describes changing the focus
of the lens, after which the drive started working again.

Don't know if it'll work for you of course, but it's worth a shot :-)

--
John