On Friday, Mar 28, 2003, at 07:11 US/Central, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>> And finally, am I expecting too much from my 5300 when I'd like a
>> webpage to
>> download/display in less than 5-10 seconds (on average)
>
> Again, yes, unless you have graphics turned off.

Frank & p'bookers,

        Try WannaBe <http://mindstory.com/wb2/> for a plain text (graphic
free!) browsing experience and iCab <http://www.icab.de/dl.php> is a
pretty good little browser (in perpetual Beta?) that works well on
these older machines with a few glitches and crashes on more complex
web sites. ICab can also be set to not allow certain graphics (like
banners or giant pictures).

        I think that Netscape Communicator 4.7x (I think .78 or .79)
<http://wp.netscape.com/download/0509102/10000-en----_qual.html> works
fairly well...it's got that "Big Wink" feature (BUG) which lets you
know when the page is done downloading.  It's Messenger suit is much
nicer than Outhouse Express...and a little safer from viruses and
macros, which really aren't that scary on an old mac.  I would not try
any of the newer version of Netscape on your 5300 (or most other Macs
for that matter :-).

         I haven't tried it on my 2300 but noticed that Mozilla, which on my
iBook and MacOsX is great, has a version for older Macs, too
<http://www.mozilla.org/>. I may go download it right now.

cheers,

Randy

--
"Good thing it's a one-holer, 'cause if it were a two-holer, before
McClellan could make up his mind which one to use, he'd beshit