I have no problem running 9.1 on a 3400c with 80 megs ram. I don't use virtual memory because I mostly run ProTools, an audio recording and editing program that won't run under vm.

Dan

Just came by a great old 3400c running OS9.0.  The machine is relatively
fast at 240 MHz and has a full shot of RAM installed at 144 MB.  I don't
have anything prior to OS9 to run and would really like to try OS8.6 in
it but alas cannot.  In lieu of that, is OS9.0 about the optimum MacOS to
run on a machine of this vintage?  I'm leary of upgrading to OS9.1 for
fear it will begin to bog down the otherwise snappy performance.  All you
OS gurus out there on the list, please give me your best shot as to the
most optimum MacOS to run on this little baby.  And, oh yes, what about
running with or without virtual memory?  Thanks mucho!

Bill