Just a thought,

If you mostly go into OS9 for iTunes, there is an iTunes install out
there for 8.6:). I don't remember exactly where I got it (Something
like, "The Worm In The Apple"),  however 8.6 is the latest OS I
have, and I love it!

I don't know how updated it is, but it's the only version of iTunes
I've ever used and i LOVE it :D.

Regards,

Eagan Rackle:
´
it's not an installer it's a patch for the installer or the installed
program  and it works great, (even though I find iTunes clumsy and
messy, nothing yet can bet the simple playlist function in SoundApp,
it seems to match the music so that similair blends into similair
when you choose randome and dont give it too much memory, of course
this is all imagination, not so great lookin but very fast and can
play and convert (not to mp3 though) loads of fileformats, midi and
SD2 and also toastimages.But of course it has no screeneffects.)

http://www.wormintheapple.gr/downloads/index.html

kenta