on 6/9/03 6:33 AM, PowerBooks at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Date: Sun, 8 Jun 2003 23:59:15 -0500
> From: DPrice <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: Just can't solve how to network with OS 10.2
>
> Am trying to network via ethernet to a 1400. 1400 set up properly for
> Appletalk. Have done everything in Network in OS 10 that I thought I
> needed to: turned on Apple Talk, checked personal file sharing, went
> to Finder and selected GO, but nothing appeared in the window. Please
> lead me through easy steps to do this. I have consulted Apple Support
> and still can't figure it out. I must be a computer nitwit.
>
> On system 9 it was a piece of cake. 1400 is running 7.6.1 with pcmcia
> card with a crossover cable. Worked fine with OS 9. Just can't figure
> out 10. Thank you so much.

A few quick thoughts
file sharing enabled on 1400?
connection port correct for appletalk?
Does the 1400 see the X machine?

Did you start your X machine first? I think the 1400 is old enough that the
appletalk connection will not activate without a network to connect to.
(hub, router or another machine). Try restarting the X machine after the
1400 is up and running.

I have a 1400 (OS-9.1) and a G4 (X) networked at home and they get along
fairly well. I must use Network Browser to connect from the 1400 as open
transport fails to connect to the G4 without it. I have no problems
connecting to any machine from the G4 no matter what O.S. is run.

Feel free to email me directly with your results and questions if this
doesn't work out. I'm in digest mode.

John