Anybody know a cheap place for a G3 upgrade short of eBay? Looks like the Sonnettech 466 MHz G3 is the only one commonly available, and that's $270+!!! Didn't see much about 1400's and G3s in the list archives. Without something cheaper, it looks like it's going to cost me $110 (battery) + $50 (second 24 meg RAM chip) + $20 (802.11b drivers) + $300 (G3) + $100 (1400 itself) = $580 to get me where I want to go, and that's a bit steep. Might as well have gotten a clamshell/I'll be using the 117 MHz 603e for a while.

Maybe you paid a bit too much, is easy to get carried away bidding. I got a PB 1400cs with 64Mb and a 233MHz G3 upgrade for $120 + 12 shipping. I'll put the upgrade in a 1400c that was $69 + 15 shipping. Then I'll sell the cs for at least what I paid...
Patience does pay off on eBay.

Anybody with an upgraded 1400? Are Sonnet's claims of "30% more battery life with upgrade" close to accurate? That'd be a pretty neat fringe benefit.

I used the PB 1400 with the 250 and 233 MHz upgrades and they are very fast, but this older upgrades do use more battery power.

Any recommendations for a USB PC card?

No USB for the 1400. Sorry.

Anybody try the IOXperts drivers for "generic" wireless cards? (http://www.ioxperts.com/pr/2003/0320.html) I've got a Speedstream I could steal from a WinXP box, and for $20 the drivers sound like a pretty good deal.

I've used a Silver and a Gold WaveLAN Card (Lucent, really) with the old 3.x drivers. They work fine.
I'll soon experiment with version 6.x, as I can't make the OS 8.6 recognize version 7.x.

Any other general pointers? I've owned a PB 150 and now have an iBook 500 (which I'm selling soon; thus the 1400 purchase), so I suppose I'm just looking for general 1400 pointers.

The bus speed and the sub par video subsystem are the bottlenecks that can't be avoided. But even with those "defects" they are pretty zippy, usable little rugged computers once you put any kind of G3 on them.

Thanks,

Ruffin Bailey

Best regards.
Hugo Diaz
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Saludos desde Reynosa, Tamaulipas, Mexico!