All of my modules (purchased back quite a while ago from MemoryX @
http://www.memoryx.net/powerbook1400.html ) are made by NewerRam.  It has never let
me down on my G3 upgraded 1400s.  You might also do some searching through the
http://www.ramseeker.com site, which is a link to current RAM and prices.

Decide first if you will need the single 48 Meg module or can use 2 - 24 Meg
stackable modules. They work equally well, but some add on cards (such as 3rd party
video cards) won't fit with the stacked cards.  The 24s are much easier to find and
often 2 - 24s are cheaper than the single 48. (go figure!)

If you don't have the OEM Apple 8 Meg module, (The 1400 came with the basic 8 Meg
on the MB, the 4 Meg OEM Apple module for a base of 12 Meg, or the 8 Meg OEM module
for 16 Meg. The OEM module having its own slot, separate from the third party
expansion RAM slot.) I've only found the 8 Meg modules on the LEM Swap list and
eBay.  They are awfully expensive for what you get, so you'd need to decide if an
additional 4 or 8 Meg was worth the investment.

David Allen