> Linuxppc wasn't very complete and is now defunct, Yellowdog last I
> looked was pretty robust, although I'm not sure if the 1400 is
> supported or not, this flavor is AFAIK going to be your only hope for
> recent/robust/current/ongoing support.

Fwiw, I tried out LinuxPPC several years back on my StarMax 3000, and it did quite
well.  Windowing was a bit slow -- sorta like OS X is on my iBook now -- but a very
nice system to use.  I didn't have any trouble getting any app I wanted running on the
distro, and even played CivCTP on LinuxPPC before it was available for Mac OS!

But for the 1400 (been checking it out this week just for the geek quotient), it does
seem mkLinux is the only option.  Though the 1400 apparently didn't enjoy official
support for quite a while, it's partially supported (and boy howdy do I mean
partially) now.  Here's some info:
http://lppcfom.sourceforge.net/fom-serve/cache/593.html

NetBSD does not support the 1400, though it does support several low end Macs:
http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/macppc/models.html

Very low end Powerbooks might try OpenBSD:
http://www.openbsd.org/mac68k.html#hardware

With this in mind, I think you'd be better off trading in the 1400 for a support
68k-based Mac if you're dying for an open OS.  Personally there's very little for the
desktop I can do with an open OS that I can't do much better and more quickly with Mac
OS 9-.  Server-side is much better with open OSs, of course, but then you're probably
not trying to get Apache/php/mySQL on a 1400.

Strangely, the 1400's predicament in Linuxland is awfully similar to my Powerbook
150's -- both have siblings just above and below that work with some *NIX flavor, but
these two models don't quite.  Must be a sign that I'm supposed to stay with Classic.

Hope that helps,

Ruffin Bailey