Thanks, Bruce. I have a strange problem with my 3400
in that an external SCSI HDD can boot the powerbook,
etc. But unplugging the external HDD, the 3400 is
unable to boot on its own. I have reformatted the
internal HDD, did a fresh OS install, etc.
My local Mac guru came up with:

<http://developer.apple.com/technotes/tn/tn1116.html>
Read about a bug in the rom and power manager:
There is no Mac OS loaded when the machine is in SCSI
disk mode, so there is no patching mechanism
available.

<http://forums.techguy.org/t104588/s0cc5aa04a5acd5e266349b931f35e2ed.html>

but...you'll have much better luck with commercial
software like FWB HD Toolkit...

Wrong

Blinking question mark and different and unusual
effect.
<http://www.theorganizers.nl/reports/flashingmark.shtml>

Seem to be confusion since some recommend to change
the hard drive too fast with no exact answer etc.
END
So, we are still looking for a solution. I will
recommend removing the PRAM battery, pressing the
reset button on the back panel, waiting an hour.

George

--- Bruce Johnson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>