> Hi I just purchased two 5300c's.  Is there a site that shows how to open a
> case and upgrade these?

These are about on the web, what you are after is a Powerbook 5300 Service Manual -
I'm sure google should come up with it. You need
one of those funny looking (Torx?) screwdrivers  to open it though, and watch the bits
of case fly off when you do!

  Are the IDE HDs limited to a 2gig boot limit or under
> 8.1 as SCSI HDs are in the 7100/8100 cpus?

No, you can put a massive HDD in the system - however, you will have trouble if you
use SCSI disk mode (accessing your Mac as a disk
connected to another Mac's SCSI bus) with disks bigger than 4 Gig.

In my opinion 8.1 is a lot more stable than 7.5 or 7.6, so I'd use at least MacOS 8.1

> Can I upgrade the video ram on the MB?

If you are in the UK, there is a guy auctioning lots of the Lapis MV16-EN cards as
Bruce mentioned on eBay. I bought one and it
works great in 8.1, although some people have had big trouble getting them to work.

Good luck with your new 'books!
Josh