[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> In a message dated 7/21/2003 2:44:58 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
>
> > Hello Craig:
> >
> >  eBay, search "SCSI-IDE" and "IDE-SCSI" and "adapters".  The swap list is
> >  also a good place to ask for one.
>
> Hi, Grizzle my Nizzle...
>
> Thank you for the advice, but I THINK we can safely assume that most of us,
> when looking for something for our P'Books, have already inquired to the great
> Oracle of Useful/Useless S - - - that IS Ebay...!
>
> And BY NOW you ought to have seen my name/e-mail adress enough to know that I
> also asked the Swap List too...
>
> But I thank you anyway!
>
> Craig W.

Hello, Craig:

> Hi,
>
> Does anyone out there know where I can find adapters to use IDE laptop drives
> in SCSI Powerbooks (assuming they will fit)?
>
> Thanks...

Gosh, such an innocent sounding question to start off with.  A plea for
help by someone with a need to a group of people who, by and large,
_like_ to help others with Mac Powerbooks and wish to enlighten others
who are not as experienced, educated, or as mature in the matters of
daily life with a PowerBook.

For some reason, you can't distinguish between someone trying to help
you and an insult, because, by your reply, you obviously seem to think
that I insulted you.  I know that you attempted to insult me with your
reply.  But, no matter …

First, I have seen five (5) IDE-SCSI adapters for sale on Ebay in the
last 3 months.  They usually come with an IDE hard drive. Usually 1 GB
or larger.  The thickness of the harddrive is very important because the
adapter has approx. 5 mm of thickness itself and will require at least
that much more room in your hard drive bay, barring the orientation of
your hard drive carrier plate.  They usually go for around $60-90
depending on your luck and the capacity of the hard drive.

Second, I have also seen one (1) adapter/hard drive for sale on the swap
list around 1-2 months ago.

Third, I have regular contact with someone who often has IDE-SCSI
adapters, at least once a month so far.  He shipped me my first one two
weeks ago, after he sold three on eBay last month.  I'm enjoying it very
much, thank you.  It now means that I can use many of the cheap IDE
laptop drives available new.

So, keep checking eBay and the swap list and hope you get lucky,
because, obviously you haven't been looking carefully enough.

Fourth, sorry, but I've been on and watching the swap list for about
three years and haven't seen any post by you to cause me to remember
your name.

Fifth, the fact of the matter is that I didn't assume anything of you
except that you were someone who wanted help with buying a laptop
SCSI-IDE adapter, the same as myself up to 2 weeks ago, and I decided I
would give you the benefit of my experience in this same endeavor.
After all, this list _is_ for _Mac_ people who want to help each other.
Not _PC_ people who want to tear each other down.

Sixth, you might want to look into laptop SCSI RAM drives.  They are a
bit expensive for their size, but for their speed and being new, they
just might be worth it to you.  Don't look on eBay for them, do a Google

Lastly, your welcome.

Sincerely yours, Grizzlygiant