maxtek wrote:

> Hi Listers,
>
> For 6 months now I have been trying on and off to get decent internet speeds
> (at least 40,000k) using two different 56K PC Card Modems and all I can get
> is 31,200. I have went to "modem speed test" pages and they always report in
> the high 20,000. I started with OS 7.6.1 and now am using OS 8.1 with 36
> megs of ram.
>
> So, my question is there anyone out there that has a 500 series and a PC
> Card modem and IS getting 40,000-48,000+ speeds?
>
> If there is tell me what PC Card you are using. I want one.
>
> Help,
>
> maxtek

Hello Maxtek:

I have a Global Village Teleport 56K on my 9600, which gets 33,600 at
best, usually 31,200.  It's because of my phone line, not the modem.  On
my PB 540 with the Mercury internal modem, it's 14k.  It's works very
well with the following setup:

I realized that much of the time, most of the transmission of a web page
is the pictures for the ads.  I now use iCab 2.91 with images turned
off.  I load several pages in the background when I need to search in
detail or am just curious (with prefetch on) and iCab allows me to
individually load only the pictures for a particular page _or picture_
that I want to see if I think it's necessary.  It is _like_ having a DSL
modem and I see what I really want to see, the print.

I hope this helps.

Sincerely yours, Grizzlygiant