Dana Collins wrote:
>Now my update:
>the screen is now fine! (?) all prior negative symptoms are at present not
>there!
???????

>I have no idea how this happened, except (I speculate) heat, and the need to
>cool down as contributing factors. Is this a collateral symptom of the "Dark
>corners" syndrome, Mad Dog?
Not heat as far as I can tell, a screen with Corner Darkening Screen
Syndrome (CDSS) seems to corner-darken even with the backlight off. I
can't say I've ever felt _any_ heat coming from an unlit LCD, faulty or
otherwise. The best speculative explanation I've heard suggests afflicted
screens have excessively porous edges which allow in moisture and air
which contaminate the edge and near-edge crystal material.

>MTFT?
Monochrome active matrix

then Dana wrote:
>I must admit that was my very first thought as it booted up, and thought
>that I would indeed have to wipe out the HD and install 7.5 afresh when I
>got back to it. However (see my last post, sent about 15 minutes ago), upon
>reboot tonight, the screen is perfectly fine! Hmph! I sent Tom Lee a
>speculation about stored heat (what with no opportunity for the screen to
>sleep during init/install) that finally registered upon reboot. Shutting
>down cooled it off (note: this is a speculation only!). The caveat to our
>mutual suspicion would be that to install, I booted UP with a Sys 7.6 CD -
>would or wouldn't that count?
My experience with CDSS is once afflicted, always afflicted. It does fade
back to normal after being shut off for a few hours, only to reappear
with further use. It has never seemed to get better, only worse.

If your's did it just once I'll be very interested to hear if it cannot
now be coaxed into a repeat performance. And that it coincided with an
update from 7.5 to 7.6 is just so very curious. If CDSS started during
the lengthy install, it should have been visible _before_ the reboot, and
not just immediately after.

Try leaving the 'Book on for a few hours (w/backlight off) and see if
CDSS re-occurs. Best test would try that under both 7.5.x and 7.6. BTW,
was the Duo located inside a fullsize Dock for the install? Did you
actually see the screen before rebooting from 7.5? Hmm, would you mind
going over again the exact sequence of events to your best recollection?
I'll have Rusty the Bailiff swear you in at this point . . . :-)

Since a Duo's screen is not 'active' when docked, I wonder if CDSS would
occur to an afflicted MTFT Duo run inside a Dock for a few hours?

Dan K

http://macdan.n3.net/
carracho://dankephoto.dhs.org:9700
hotline://dankephoto.dhs.org:9500