Hi Roger:

Have you tried to boot from a known good System Folder
on an external SCSI HDD? During my troubles (which may
not be over, yet) any powered up SCSI device would
enable booting from the internal HDD.

What may have tipped the scale to normal behaviour was
some combination of disconnecting the A/C adaptor
(pressing the reset button 10-20 sec. more than once)
and/or disconnecting the PRAM battery.

What may have caused the original problem was possibly
a partition I had set up: 8.1(for printing) and 8.6
(to run Mozilla using ethernet).
The drivers on the 1.3 Gig internal HDD were getting
confused or was it the ROM ? Then I made the ultimate
blunder - updating the 8.6 with 9.1 and allowing the
Option of updating the driver (the second partition).
I am really suspecting that the 9.1 driver is a
trouble-maker!

It's worth noting that the System Enabler on the
emergency Floppy Disk and the original CD (7.6) are
not the same i.t.o. code. I would also recommend doing
a fresh OS 7.6 install using floppies if nec. but the
CD is my first choice. In general, I would try to use
3400 (i.e. PowerBook) specific installers if
available. (All I have is one Disk Tools floppy.)

George