Chuck, I haven't run into this exact thing, but have
you tried trashing display preferences and rebooting?
I accidentally reset some display controls and had a
similar problem on a desktop system.

on any tv the picture rolls when the connection is bad or shortcircuited - the same with some broken mac screen cables that I came across a while back, also when we tried to connect a pc screen without the proper converter, or some voltage is wrong, what about cleaning the circuitry ? lookin for a metal grain somewhere or something connecting where it shouldnt, like lookin for a needle in a haystack I sadly agree.

LOVEK