Han,

The 2400 won't boot of something as old as MacOS 7.5. The everymac.com states the baseline OS version is 7.6.

Nor will the 7.5 Network disk boot a 5300. You need at least MacOS 7.5.2 to run a 5300.

How much RAM does it have now? If it has enough to boot 8.6 it should have enough so you can do a serial transfer between the 6500's printer or modem port and the 5300's (single) printer/modem port. It's not quick but it should work (although I've never done it, it's the quickest, and probably slowest, way to network 2 Macs together).

In fact, here's a site that describes it pretty well:

http://www.atpm.com/network/setup/localtalk_serial.html

You should have all the SW already installed on the Macs - you'll just need a serial cable for Macs (I don't think PC serial cables will work - the pin count is wrong as I recall, but I don't remember which is 9-pin and which is 8).

Just connect the 6500 to the 5300, and copy the 19 disk images from the 6500 to the 5300. It will take a LONG while to do this, but it will work. You should be able to open the 1st disk image and install 7.5.3 from there.

You might (I don't recall - I hope someone else chimes in verifying or correcting my instructions) have to unbless the current System folder first, by moving the Finder out of the System Folder. Then, install 7.5.3 and allow the Mac to reboot. It should reboot into 7.5.3.

I am assuming in all this that the 5300 does not have ethernet ability, either through a PC Card or through one of the Focus video/ethernet built-in cards. If you have ethernet on both machines, use it instead. It is faster. The site I linked to above also has good info on ethernet connecting Macs.

Regards,

Bob Eye
Dallas, TX

We are fixing up the ol 5300 to lend to a friend this
fall who can't afford to purchase a book for herself
yet.  The husband upgraded it to os 8.6, but it really
doesn't have enough ram to support 8.6, and I can't
find an affordable ram upgrade.  I used to run 7.5.5
on it without a problem, so I thought we could just
return it to 7.5.5.
[snip]