IMHO, you won't need to completely max out the ram to
get dramatic improvements even in 8.6 (unless you are
doing something really intensive.)  our 3400/180 runs
on 48 and it handles word processing apps and online
tasks pretty well.  Our 3400/200 has 80, I do image
processing, webdesign and go online with it, as well
as play with a few diversion programs.  Now, we do use
ram doubler.  YMMV, but I haven't been hungering after
ram since we installed 64 in the 3400/200.

About online speed -- get a good 56k pc modem card and
make sure you have an effective modem script for it.
I get 50000bps pretty regularly on either 3400 on a pc
card modem with a v.90 script.  This blows the doors
off my 56k desktop modems which rarely get much over
40000.  I thought it was just my phone lines, but
apparently not. I am not using Modem Magic, btw, and
I've been curious about whether that might help boost
the desktops' bps since I've seen such nice speeds
from the powerbooks using the same phone lines.