Craig W. wrote:
>In my recently obtained Powerbook 540c with the 167mhz NuPowr processor
>upgrade, I see that it has a control panel called "NUPowr Cache" that
>(supposedly?) allows some sort of 128k L2 cache...
Yes, it's needed to enable the L2 cache built-in to the NuPowr 183mhz
upgrade. For the L2-cache-less models it does nothing and is not needed.

Therefore the answers to your subsequent questions are no, no and no.

Newer also distributed an extension for the NuPowr 500 upgrade whose only
apparent function is to ensure Apple System Profiler reports the
processor speed correctly. Without said extension ASP usually incorrectly
reported the 167mhz processor as a 117 or 133mhz. You can imagine the
PITA that caused Newer, having to explain why a _very_expensive_ 167mhz
upgrade only showed up as a 117! (Truly a 167 runs at 167 with or without
the extension, whether or not so reported by ASP.)

Dan K

http://macdan.n3.net/
carracho://dankephoto.dhs.org:9700
hotline://dankephoto.dhs.org:9500