We have tried about everything I can think of. We ran disk Dr. and then defraged it. Then we decided to completely reload the os and all the software. NOTHING HELPS. Do any of you have an idea what to do now. I am sending this from the machine now and it is working fine. It is running OS 8.6, when this started a few days ago I was running 9.1 with no problems.

You have some sort of temperature-related problem, likely with the logic board.

what happens if you start with the battery out - that would aid the cooling ? just a guess but that maybe could give some clue ?