I need a little feedback on something if you have any...

Last night I was copying some files from a Zip 100 disk to my PowerBook 5300. Everything was going fine until I dragged a folder of files over, it started copying, and then it stopped midway through like it was copying a REALLY big file--the Zip amber light kept on making it look like it was busy too--and then I noticed everything else on the PB desktop went away (HD icon, etc.) and it appeared to have frozen. I forced a reboot from the keyboard and reset the Zip drive too. When I restarted the PB, there was just a big black diamond with a "2" in it bouncing around on the screen. I guess that's a symbol for SCSI port 2?

I restarted off the Disk Tools floppy. There were no hard disk errors and everything came up normal. I went through the process again. It froze again on transferring a small folder of files from the Zip. I restarted again and the computer came up OK (no diamond this time). But the pattern repeated. I decided to call it a night after the last such cycle. And this morning I tried turning on the PowerBook and there is NO response from the computer. It's just DEAD.

I hesitate to mention another fact because it makes NO sense to me whatsoever, but my desktop (a Mac clone) is dead today too! I had it on last night, but it was not connected to the PB. It shut down normally last night. Today when I press the power switch, the power supply turns on, but the hard disk isn't going through its paces. The screen never shows any signs of life. (I do hear the startup chime.) Zapping PRAM is not possible; it doesn't recognize the key sequence. Why would a desktop show these signs, whether or not in connection with a laptop?

Does any of this sound at all familiar to anyone else? I think I'm going crazy. At least I have this PC laptop with which to post this message! :-)

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Allan