--- [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> George Mogiljansky wrote:
> >> Another Compaq drive doesn't boot; any version of
> >> Apple formatting app (Drive Set-up) has the same
> >> warning: "this drive has protected drivers, but
> can
> >> still be initialized". The model# is ST9816AG.
> Sooooo . . . what's the problem exactly? If DS
> allows you to initialize
> the drive isn't that what you seek anyhow? What
> happens when (if) you
> tried to initialize it?
'''''''' The problem is it won't boot. I can install
an OS on it, and it will boot as a secondary drive
(i.e. if an external SCSI drive is connected to the
3400). This may or may not be an mob problem, as
another Compaq (Seagate) drive is bootable on its own.

> and Bruce Johnson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> replied:
> >These Compaq things are a giant PITA.  I don't
> think you can do this
> >sort of thing Try Low Level formatting it in Drive
> Setup.
>
> Ouch! DS shouldn't let you LLF an ATA device, but
> just in case it does .
> . .
>
> DON'T DO IT! ATA drives cannot be LLF, and the
> attempt _could_ make it
> difficult or impossible to use the drive.
>
> However, perhaps Bruce is thinking of 'zero all
> data'?
""""" Been there, done that. Bruce said it - PITA for
the Compaq brand. But I should try to initialize/zero
data/ etc. on a peecee laptop, which I don't have.
Thanks, Dan.