Since I don't have much to contribute to this great list, I thought this tidbit might
help someone.

I successfully installed OS 9.1 (iMac CD from OWC) this weekend on my PB 1400 with
Sonnet G3 CPU. It's installed on a second partition (OS 8.1 is still on the first).

I was having trouble getting the installer to work until I held down the shift key
while booting up from the CD install disk. Then everything went as it should. I know
that holding down the shift key while booting up disables extensions, but if you're
booting up from a CD I don't know what difference that should make! But it did. I also
replaced the old Startup Disk control panel with version 9.2.1. That was a
recommendation of someone on this list.

Spence