From: Dan K <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Sep 22, 2003 8:59 PM
To: PowerBooks <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: wireless

vicki d asked:
>if i wanted to go wireless and stick a base station on the end of the phone
>line instead of the desktop. Then run all the macs through the house with a
>wireless link.

Apple's AirPort base has a modem built-in, I'd say that's yer best bet.
Original AP BSes sell for under $100 these days. My own 'basestation' is
a cobbled together mess, a Siemens Speedstream wifi router (with modem
port) and a PC-cabled 56K Viking monstrosity. Took a bit of work to get
it to all work together let me tell you. Were I to do it all over I'd
just buy an AP BS and be done with it.

The only downside of the original AP BS is the one ethernet port. If you
also have broadband and just want the dialup as a backup I think you have
to do some sort of futzing.

Isn't there an lucent/orininococo branded clone of the AP BS? I forget
the model/brand/etc. but apparently it works just like the Apple dealy.

hth,

Dan K

http://macdan.n3.net/
carracho://dankephoto.dhs.org:9700