At 4:17 PM -0500 10/1/03, Jim Oiler wrote:
Good Day,
I'm brand new to the list. I was pointed here by Drew at alksoft.com.
Having spend a bit of time yesterday trolling through the archives for this list, I was surprised to not find any mention of the Farralon AirDock.
I have had one for nearly 7 years now and I'm prepared to call that $70 money well spent.
Farralon sure isn't interested in the AirDock anymore (who are they now? hard to even tell). The little guy sits there on my drawing table doing his job.
The biggest problem I've had with the AirDock is that it performs so well that I always forget how I set it up last. I never have to touch it until something horrible happens with either the PowerBook 5300 or my desktop computer. Then I have to re-remember how to reinstall the Local Talk Bridge thing.
If any one needs info about setting up an AirDock, give a shout.

I'm just curious what it is exactly. I think it's an IRTalk (PowerBook LocalTalk over IR) to wired LocalTalk, optionally to the Printer Port on a Mac. Is it short range as in desktop or longer, across the room. How close am I? I've seen it at a local store (I think they still have them even).

I have several Photonics Game Net devices which are similar but I don't know if they are compatible or such. Originally these were sold for general Mac Networking in offices and such but as that market dried up they seem to have targeted it at game players. They plug into the ADB port for power and a serial port. It transmits and receives IR across the room at LocalTalk speeds. You can connect one to a LocalTalk Network and add the IR network(s) to an overall LAN. I used it before I got 802.11b. Not as fast, not as versatile and more cumbersome having an external device that must be aimed, but it did work and was more convenient than stringing a cable.
--
Clark Martin
Redwood City, CA, USA