> This is a characteristic of LCD displays. The adhesive allows a
 minute amount of water vapor to penetrate, as this happens the display will
 continue to darken from the edges to the center.  The problem is more acute
 in environments with higher humidity.  I don't know what the differences
 are with the 2 screens.

This subject has been debated a number of times here and on other listed without any definitive answer that I've spotted.

Do you know this for a fact or is it a theory ?

Infact this is my question, as this is the first time I see this effect.

Among my Macs & TFC displays there are a Wallstreet 14", an Apple Studio 17", a PB 5300ce, and this 180 (actually I used a 180 logic board and a 180 display to upgrade my old PB 160.

Ben