Unfortunately, I only have 24mb of memory, which can't help, and it also means I need VM turned on to run anything (again, not a good idea).

VM and MP3 playback probably don't play well together on the 5300. If you can, drop down to 8.1. 7.6.1 would probably be best for this application. Then you could make a small RAM disk and put the MP3 player on that, preventing problems when the hard drive is accessed. Give the MP3 player all the remaining memory that you can.

Bob Eye reported to me (for the PowerBook 5300 FAQ - worth a read if you haven't <http://www.alksoft.com/5300_FAQ/>) that Cabrio <http://www.melonsoft.com/products/cabrio/> works fine on his 5300cs.

I'm a fan of SoundApp PPC on the 5300. It works well enough and doesn't have too many requirements.

The 5300 might not make a good party jukebox, though, especially if you're planning on jumping around through tracks frequently. When playing MP3s, you can't do anything else. And the responsiveness of the MP3 players themselves is pretty poor while playing - don't expect to change tracks quickly!

It can be done, though.

If you are planning on using File Sharing to connect to the iMac and play the songs from across the network, you should probably try it first. Even SoundApp might be too heavy for the 5300 to handle playback _AND_ network traffic at the same time. Unfortunately, the 5300 doesn't have any sort of DMA anywhere AFAIK, so everything that goes through the I/O bus has to also go through the CPU.

Peace,
Drew
--

Author of ClassicStumbler email: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> web: <http://www.alksoft.com/>