Well I tried the static IP numbers on my PowerBook 3400 last night and it worked.  I
rebooted twice and each time I was able to connect too the internet after rebooting
with no problems.  I then shutdown before going to bed and booted it back up this
morning.  After it finished booting I was able to connect to the internet again so it
must have been something to do with the DHCP not working on the Mac.

Before I did this I connected to my router's administration settings and reduced the
DHCP range from 2-50 to 2-10 and then set my Mac's IP at 12.  I also wrote down the
DNS numbers that the router was getting from the cable modem and entered those
manually as well into the Name Server field of the TCP/IP Control Panel.

Question:  If I had entered my router's IP in the Name Server field of the TCP/IP
Control Panel, would the router then pass the DNS request onto the real DNS that it
knows about?  That's the nice thing about DHCP, I don't have to remember all those
numbers.

Thanks for your help!
-tom