having learned some possible tricks (thanks to the listers expertise!),
I've decided to give it a shot and try to revive my 520 battery. The
battery has not been used for several years, so I assume that chances to
bring it back to like are pretty slim? It was fully functional, however,
before being shelved. I also assume that it's pretty deeply discharged for
IBR to revive it. Here's how far I got (not much, in fact) alternating
IBR and EMMpathy for more than 20 times:

IBR goes to "extended precharging" for less than 1 minute, then flashes
the message "waiting on communication" and instantly a dialog box appears
saying that "the battery could not be updated, return it to apple". Tried
about 10 times before switching to EMMpathy, I've seen differences only
between the first and the remaining iterations.

EMMpathy says "writing smartbattery's memory got ~30 sec, then a dialog
box pops up: "I can't locate a battery in the right slot"

I've also followed the various recommendations in the help files. After
re-booting, EMMpathy goes directly to the "can't locate battery" box and
IBR does even start the extended re-charging and comes up with the "The
battery could not be updated" box.

Any other steps I could take before declaring the battery dead? It might
be worth trying to recharge with battery charger, I have one around which
can supply the juice. How to connect it though (safely, that is)

thanks for any possible hints.
cheers, gianfranco