Greetings. I am looking at picking-up a PB3400c real soon, and the thread "Q: anyone running an older powerbook from PCMCIA flash memory?" just caught my eye. Sorry about coming in on this late, but what you're saying is I can format, then install the OS (9.1, too?) and any key apps on the Flash (of sufficient size, of course) and then set it as the Start-up Disk (or is there a key combination to select?), and basically run a PowerBook from there? That is so totally cool!

The internal hard drive then can essentially become the back-up drive, spun-down and silent running. (As long as the Flash is the Start-up there is no problem that there's a system on the hard drive, too, right?) This would seem to overcome the disadvantages I have experienced trying to use my Palm (even with a keyboard) as a laptop substitute--most notably the too small screen, and software compromises!

My other questions:
1. Refresh my memory on formatting the Compact Flash. Do I use Drive Setup?
2. Does anyone have any stats on how much this approach extends battery life?
3. Are there any considerations on selecting Compact Flash? I just took a look at MacMall's site and currently there are great prices (rebates) on several brands--e.g., SMART 256MB is just $35; 512MB $85 and a 1GB is $165. SanDisk PC Card is $10.

Thanks,

Gary F, Daught
Tucson, Arizona
[EMAIL PROTECTED]