Dan Palka <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I read that the 180 and 200 mhz top out at around 225 so
>I shouldn't expect a gigantic speed boost on my 240 ...

Nice pages o' info Dan!

My 200 runs at 240 with no problem though neither 180 I have will go that
fast. Some 240s are apparently able to run up to around 300, a big enough
boost to be worth doing IMHO. There is no hard and fast limit on the top
end, just depends on the particular example.
     - see my page on overclocking via bus multiplier changes
<http://mywebpages.comcast.net/macdan/images/pb3400resistors.jpg>

I wish I knew what other settings were possible via the multiplier
settings other than the 3 stock speeds. If anyone knows more, has a link,
etc. please share! I searched the net high and low for that info but
never found it there.

I'd say to forget playing DVDs on a 3400. The video chipset doesn't
support DVD playback, not even using a DVD-decoder card. Just installing
a DVD drive inside a 3400 EBM would be a bit of a challenge.
     - see my page on expansion bay module hacking
<http://mywebpages.comcast.net/macdan/ebms.html#3400sled>

As for using a DVD drive for data, I've successfully used an external FW
DVD-R drive with a 3400, though as a DVD-data reader and CD-R writer
only, _NOT_ to record DVD-Rs.

Dan K

PS: You (or anyone else for that matter) are welcome to link to any of my
Mac info pages.
<http://mywebpages.comcast.net/macdan/>

http://macdan.n3.net/
carracho://dankephoto.dhs.org:9700