The dance goes like this:

Run IBR
Run Emmpathy
Run Battery Amnesia

(repeat 3-4X)

What is "IBR" ... and where might I find it ?

Intelligent Battery Recondition, from Apple. It's in their 'Older downloads' section.

What is "Emmpathy" ... where will I find it ?

Someone in the list has it on their server.

I think I have Battery Amnesia 1.5.2, if that will work !?

That's one step of the dance.

This is *specific* for the 500 series and their oddball 'intelligent' batteries.
Duos, iirc have Nicad batteries, battery amnesia may be able to help them,

file transfer from G4 to 280c enacted

but the 1400's have LiIon batteries, iirc, and that won't help them.

Thanks for the clarification, Bruce.

Have used Battery Recondition repeatedly w/1400 battery.
Every few days at first, then every week, now about once a month, (as one is warned to do only).

Are there any other methods w/ 1400 type, aside from better charging/reconditioning hardware ?

Jerry