Thanks to Bruce, Eric and the others whose suggestions have been  really
useful on this topic.
We now think the machine has been " got at" before it arrived with us as we
are getting all sorts of peculiar statements from it.
Its supposed to be a PB270C but when we eventually (VERY LONG STORY - three
hours work!) got it to accept the idea of upgrading and started to instal OS
7.6.1 it told us it had not got an fpu coprocessor!
Now according to our manual the 270C should have one?
Perhaps its fitted with a different motherboard than standard or has been
replaced sometime?

Now another question .
We have a spare 280C working motherboard but before we go to the trouble of
stripping the machine down and rebuilding it on this board does anyone know
whether the vdu diplay on the 270C will work on a 280C board?
Or is it simply telling us lies and it really  does have an fpu coprocessor
that maybe is kaput? Anyone know how to lell by just looking at the
board?Wouldnt want to do it all in vain!!!

TIA

Gerald