OK I have a 2.5" 9mm 5GB TravelStar hard disk out of a dead G3 Powerbook. It has a copy of OS 8.1 installed on it and was booted successfully on an number of IDE machines. I tried it in the 5300 when i originally got it ages ago and it didn't work. I thought nothing of it at the time and considered the 5300 board flakey anyway. As my discoveries on this round of investigations have revealed it isn't the board that's up the swany but actually the hard disk (which has now stictioned).

I thought what the hell and decided to try it again but I still can't get it to mount, get Disk Utility for 9.1 or 8.1 to recognise it or anything, set as master or slave or even CSEL.

Anyone else struggled with newer HDDs in 5300s? I know they have a phobia of anything bigger than 7.5GB but this one is a lot smaller than that.

--
Mark Benson

AIM - SilValleyPirate
MSN - [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Visit FlatPackMacs online: <http://fpm.68kmac.com>

"Never send a human to do a machine's job."
                                -The Matrix