I was given a PB1400c after I recovered the data off it for a friend who didn't want to deal with it any longer.
I initialized the hard drive, ran the disk utility/drive set up to check the erased disk for bad blocks, ran disk first aid, everything said fine, seems to be no problems. I updated the driver, installed 7.5.3, then 7.6 and I've gotten this error twice:

Sorry a system error occured
CHK error

Whether I'm booted from the CD or not, I've also gotten plenty of bombs and and a few error 10s, but have never seen a CHK error, so I'm hoping someone might know what it indicates? I didn't see it in the apple error codes
I'm pretty sure the internal battery has never been replaced, and I don't even know how to get into the thing. I've taken iMacs and Starmaxes apart, but I've never even seen a PB apart, so what's the first step? I don't really have any money to put into it, but I thought if it was the battery, I could use it just to be portable.

If any of this is necessary for advice it's a 133/16MB/1.0G and no floppy drive, but the CD drive works and I've got the SCSI disk mode accessory.
Thanks,
Kari