On Feb 17, 2004, at 4:48 AM, Nick Dalzell wrote:

I have really been busy with my computer job and a new moped i just got,
sorry if my replies have been really delayed...

Seems somebody said my laptop has everything needed to do localtalk...my
question is, what do i need to do to set it up? like i said, i only
hooked up networks on pcs, not macs this is new to me....any idea where
to go from here?

Connect the two macs via a local talk cable or a phone net cables as seen near the bottom of this page:

<http://www.refurbmadness.com/code/cables_used_and_instock.shtml> a buck for a phone net adapter is a good price.

If you have a local Mac Users group, contact them, I'll bet at least one person has a pile of phone-net connectors in the dark recesses of their closet. The LEM swap list would be a good place to get some, cheap.

(I've seen people offer 'em for shipping alone)

Here's a primer on networking via Localtalk <http://www.dur.ac.uk/~dbl0www1/Well_connected_Mac/serialguide/ serial.html>

Phone net works similarly, except you have the connectors like seen in the first web page and run standard phone cords between them. That's probably the cheapest route.

You can also do some pretty cool stuff with phone net, like using unused lines in your building's phone network to run it; I've seen some rather complex networks set up with it, and considering it was in 1986, when PC users thought 'ethernet' meant a clandestine drug ring for procuring anesthetic, and network meant one of the three TV channels you got that wasn't UHF, it's an astonishing thing.

--
Bruce Johnson
University of Arizona