PB Listas All
This is quite a facinating group of threads that I've mixed up
together, hope it's of some help. Longgg.

PowerBooks wrote:
> PowerBooks Digest #1655
> Subject: 520c/166 night night
> From: "R. A. Cantrell"
>
> Book Djini,
>                 I had my 520c/603/166 running just fine, then I went a
> bridge too far. I tried hooking up a scsi HD, and at first it went o.k.,
> then I disconnected the scsi drive and tried to start up . . .nada, no
> nuthin. Then I plugged the scsi back in and got everything going again, had
> the  installed drive and the SCSI external drive mounted while the machine
> was booted off the floppy, just what I  was trying to  do. Then I unplugged
> the external scsi again, and  since then, nada. It does not  feel like a
> system type problem, but a loosened connection or broken connector of some
> sort, way down in  there. Anybody had this before? My aim here is to try to
> revive another HD by installing it in the machine, booting off the floppy,
> initializing the drive  and  and Installing OS 8 from the installer that I
> copied to  the external HD. (whew). None of this is going to work if the
> machine won't even click or  even whimper when the  start key is pushed.
R.A. HowDy!
Now if I'm reading you correctly, you seem to be attaching drives to a booted
and running PB, all such actions should be accomplished while the PB is fully
shutdown and disconnected from any power, for if not you may be testing your
luck on frying a port, or even worse. We've all heard of SCSI voodoo(more
on
this below) , but I wouldn't feel comfortable knowing really bad stuff
could go
down, if I do. The PB's PRAM is more than likely in need of all the former
connected items to complete the boot, and in seeing a quite likely corrupted
boot situation refuses to do so, until you rehook items. YMMV but, following
a correct shutdown, wait for a few hours, cold reboot while zapping the PRAM.
Will the ext. HD drive boot by using Cmd/Shift/Opt/Delete(docs) at startup,
or directly following a full 3 gong PRAM zap to boot off the Ext. drive unit,
if it's got a blessed bootable System folder installed on it?

> ------------------------------
>
> From: mdstewart
> Subject: 540c & 520c questions
>
> I'm new to the list.
Welcome, jump right in the waters fine.

> My First Question: Should I take the best parts from the
> 540c (Active matrix screen, 500mb hd, 32mb ram, lower screen
> trim & etc) along with the ppc100 card and "upgrade" the
> 520c, or should I put the ppc100 in the 540c, along with
> some of the case parts from the 520c? I guess my question is
> really does the 25Mhz 040 in the 520c have any effect on the
> power of the ppc100 upgrade (as opposed to the 540c's
> 33Mhz)?
There are a few PowerBook specific pages out there that will have
'bout everthin' ya ever wanted to know on them, do try a Google
search for the O'reilly or O'grady PB pages, and look on www.
lowendmac.com in the Powerbooks section found and followed
from the right panel.

> My second question concerns the hard drive. What is the
> maximum size hard drive I can install in the winning laptop?
> Any ideas where I could obtain a substantially larger drive
> than 500mb? Will a pull from a duo 2300c work?
If you are going to be wanting to SCSI Disk Mode your PB to
your DT Mac there is a limit to what size HD is installed, and
if my memory doesn't fail here, it's in the 2 or 3Gb Max area,
and if you go beyond that barrier things get very Bad n hairy
real fast if SDM is employed, so if'n yer goin' the big HD route
you are warned to never even think of trying a SDM hookup ever
again until such a time that a smaller(within the limits) size HD
is once again installed.

> My fifth question involves Iomega drives. I have external
> Jaz and Zip drives. The 540c always boots with the Iomega
> Extension crossed out during the "Parade" and the PB won't
> recognize any Iomega drives. When I received this PB, it had
> OS 7.6.1. (the extension icon was already crossed out). I
> ran OS 8.1 on to it without using a clean install to upgrade
> it. Icon is still crossed out. The 520c's Iomega extension
> is not crossed out, but I have not tried to use an Iomega
> drive yet. Is there a trick to using Iomega external drives?
Does the Zip have it's internal Termination switch set to on?,
or have you externally Terminated it in some fashion? Actually,
I  really perfer using either a ZIP 100 or 250 SCSI Ext. drive
sandwitched between PB and DT/MT units while using SCSI
Disk Mode.

> My sixth question involves modems. Are there any 56kbs
> internal modems that will work with PB 500s? Will a PCMCIA
> modem card work (with the proper cage), or is external
> global village teleport 56k type modems go faster or are
> more reliable?
You'll need to score that well mentioned "C" PCMCIA cage to be
able to try out the faster modems, again YMMV, what's the version
of the cage in the 540 now? Will APS tell?

> Sorry about this long list of questions. I guess I've been
> saving them up for the right audience.
Don't know about that, but stay tuned 'cause our GURUs are right
here on this great list, just toss your ideas out here, and someone
will likely pick up the ball and run the answer down to us, HTHs

> From: "R. A. Cantrell"
>
> This drive was in the 520c that I have
> either just killed or put into deep doodoo.
Let's hope for the best here, and not the doodoo, do keep us in the loop
on these happenings R.A., ok?

> From: macnifico
> Subject: CD sound thru PowerBook SCSI
>
> Hi, Listers!
Como esta!
> About 2 years ago, when I briefly had a PB WallStreet 2, I was burning
> some CDs with my external Generic CD burner, when I mistakenly inserted
> an audio CD in the burner. To my surprise, it started playing with the
> sound coming out of the PB speakers.
Either the System's CD-Rom(or CD/DVD Rom) init, is loaded and working,
or you've loaded another init driver from your Disk burning software that
is diving the ext. drive, and it seems that you've got AutoPlay enabled in
your perferences somewhere(which by the way, is not, or was not thought
to be safe from a type of virus quite a few years back that used Quicktime's
Autoplay/Start settings to begin it's nasty deeds. iirc
> Can I do that with a less powerful computer, say a 1400, 3400 or 190?
> Maybe even my old and trusty 540c?
By all means do, you are only held back by the drives size in how much music
you can load up at one time, there are even multidisk CD players out there
which will play music non-stop for days on end if needed, like for those big
all weekend long DJ-less parties, eh!

> I had 9.04 on the PB WS, is this OS dependent?
> Or is this feat dependent of the CD player or burner?
As long as you can get your music onto the HD, or an attached drive, the
PB's will be in effect a jukebox able to dole out vibes to your stereo, or
power driven speakers, and even shared over a network by various means,
there are various applications available for most OS versions, but if'n
you've got lots of RAM to spare on a PPC PB go for the optimum of at least
OS9.1 for it's stability, although you may want to trim the 68k code off
of
any FAT applications that're in regular use. iirc
HTHs

via condios
Respectful of GURUs
Bill Cornett
cornett AT gol DOT com
 "Most of the people I know use Macs, and it feels like we're
   a privileged minority, though the odd thing is that, unlike
   Mercedes or BMWs, they are not significantly more expensive
   than the competition.Why does anybody use anything else?"
  -Douglas Adams

 Notice- I've gone in search of myself. If I should show up before
  I return, please keep a eye on me 'tiI I get back. Thank you!

"Dopeler effect:
 The tendency of stupid ideas to seem smarter when they
  come at you rapidly."-Greg Oetjen, Lorton

/