(how do you reset the power manager on a 500 series)?

Remove the battery and power adapter. Let it sit for 5 min. Hold down Control, Command, Option, Power On buttons for 5-10 seconds. That's it.

The other problem I am experiencing is loosing connection with the battery.

Try cleaning the terminals on the battery. If the battery doesn't have a full charge it prabably won't boot. Are you getting the charging icon (lightning bolt) in the menu bar and control strip? Should also show % charge in the strip. I recently had to switch adapters because the plug was so worn that there was only an intermittant connection on the charge side. Ran the book fine but no battery action unless I wiggled the plug.

Rick