From: PowerBooks [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of
macnifico
Sent: Thursday, March 18, 2004 7:48 PM
To: PowerBooks
Subject: PB Duo 230 doesn't turn off...

Hi, Listers!

I recently bought a PowerBook Duo 230, with 8 Mb of RAm and System 7.1.
I immediately installed an 8 Mb RAM chip I had lying around (I still
have 2 more, if anyone's interested), making the RAM a more usable 12
Mb, and installed OS 7.6, and then the 7.6.1 update.
Now the problem. The computer doesn't turn off. Not from the menu, not
from the Power On/Off button, it just sits there, doing nothing.
Sometimes an "Illegal instruction" bomb window appears, if I click
restart it just sits there. Sometimes it freezes,  and in ALL cases I
have to disconnect the power cord.
I discarded almost all the preferences, with no luck.
Please notice that I did a clean install, then deleted the prior system.

However, I couldn't update the HD driver as the Hard Drive was formatted

by another, non-Apple program. So the HD Driver is my main suspect, but
I do not know how to update it. Maybe with my OS 8 CD? Or my OS 9 CD?
Any help, suggestion, advice, etc., will be greatly appreciated. Best
regards. Hugo Diaz [EMAIL PROTECTED]
--
"The only thing we knew for sure about Henry Porter is that his name
      wasn't Henry Porter"