WHAT VERSION does it say it is?
Just because it will "boot the box" doesn't mean you can install the software there. Booting simply involves telling the chip ROMs to go through their builtin routines to checkout the hardware, etc., and bring up the desktop. Likewise, you could probably take a system 7 disk 1 disk Tools diskette and boot up that machine. Maybe even a system 9 CD. Obviously the software you have is G3 only--which figures, since it came with a G3 machine. There is probably not any of the 68040 emulation coding on there. They pare that stuff out of the later versions of the system. To run on both PPC and 68040 or lower machines, you have to have "FAT" coding. system 8.0 and 8.1 will run on both, and the box says so.

Fat coding takes up room and is wasting ROM with coding taking up space if the machine doesn't need that type of coding. So what you have is system 8 specific to G3s with the 68040 coding pared away. The chips are different. Without the 040 code that won't run on your machine; therefore Apple saves you from yourself and does not let it even try to install. In older machines, there were programs such as "wannabe" to try to fool the installers into thinking you had a different machine, or soft FPU to make it think you had an fpu. . that is res edit stuff. Once you change chips there are different issues. My suspicion is that you have 8.5 or 8.6, not 8.0 or 8.1. Doesn't it tell you?

Why don't you try mac.res.q or one of the other places like that to see if they still have the system you need for the computer you are trying to run it on? I know it is expensive to buy older systems. The more scarce they are the more they seem to cost. I thought it was outrageous that I had to pay $79 to get that CD when it wasn't even the current system. I don't want to part with mine, because that is the highest system I can run on my PB520, and I may want to put that on there someday. I'm a firm believer in keeping original program disks. One never knows when a computer harddrive may give up the ghost.