No, you misunderstood. It doesn't matter what side of the paper you print on. what matters is if you print on one side and then regularly use the back side to print other things, so as not to waste paper. I had my machine for 12 years. I was regularly saving used pages and printing on the backside. when you do that, over time, the laser toner adheres to some roller deep (and expensively) inside (expensive part, expensive repair). the the roller gets gunked up. then it starts not wanting to feed paper through any more and paper jams halfway through. there was no repairing the printer. Actually I could have bought the $250 part and had it put in, but considering the printer was 12 years old and I could get a faster, cheaper one for much less $, it was not worth it. Pennywise and pound foolish. the paper I "saved" cost me the life of my printer.