>Exactly. The fuser(I think it's a roller) was coated. You cannot get
>the crud off once it fused to it. You have to replace the fuser roller
>and that's the $250 part ...

The fuser is comprised of a heated roller, which is Teflon coated and has
a quartz-halogen heating lamp within it, and a pressure roller, which is
silicone rubber coated.

The fuser itself is a FRU (field repleaceable unit) and usually costs
about $49, exchange.

The silicone-coated roller seldom gives any problems, but it is the most
expensive of he two.

The Teflon-coated roller is usually the culprip, and it is the one which
is most often replaced. About $9, from The Printer Works.

I used to rebuild all my fusers, but this is usually false economy, of
one's time is considered.

The "crud" can be removed, but it's a PITA, using so-called "synthetic
steel wool", extra-fine, a 3M product.

Better yet to obtain a new roller for about $9.

The LJ4/LJ4M/LJ4+/LJ4M+/Pro 600/Pro 630/16-600 fuser is the same part,
and it pops out after removing only two screws.

The fuser roller is the same part across all those machines, too.