Hi all;

Anyone seem problems with Appletalk getting corrupted somehow and not able to be turned on? the error is "appletalk cannot be started,check your network settings" whenever I try and save changes made to the Appletalk control panel settings. Appletalk is not working on any port after this happens- (not on serial, ethernet, or wireless anyway, I've not checked the IR :)- and I get the error trying to set it up.

I get this eventually corruption, always, on my 1400/G3/9.1. I *think* it is related to switching between wireless and wired connection setups in the location manager. Meaning, if I have the location setup configured for the wireless card, and I boot without it or perhaps with a 3Com card installed instead, at that point Appletalk gets munged.

The only fix I've found is a system reinstall, I've tried deleting prefs for everything Appletalk, as well as replacing all the Appletalk, ethertalk, ethernet etc extensions with good ones from my 9.1 system on my 6400 (I've not tried changing the Chooser out though, come to think of it).

I just noticed I was a little out of date on my Orinoco drivers, so I put the newest ones (7.1 or 7.4, depending on if the directory entitled "7.4winter 2002" really *is" different than the 7.1 directory). We'll see if that helps.

Anyway, thoughts welcome, the corrupt Appletalk was the reason I had to disassemble my 1400 and swap in a new mainboard to get the CD drive working per the other thread: I'd run out of "backup" good system folders, had no Appletalk, and no way to get the 9.1 CD onto the powerbook- for some reason, my external 600e drive, which WAS the only external CD that would work on this thing, is no longer working on the powerbook.... but you've heard me gripe about external SCSI on these things before...

Thanks for thoughts;

Brian

--
"To announce that there must be no criticism of the president, or that we are to stand by the president, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public."
-- Theodore Roosevelt, speaking on President Wilson's crackdown on dissent after the U.S. entered W.W.I