Hello,
I saw an post about a powerbook 15 gb hard disk, but the seller said it would only fit the newer machines and not the 5300, 3400, etc.
Could someone please tell me what has changed in the newer hard drive design? I know there are varying heights, but that has not made a difference in the past if new holes were drilled in the hard drive cage for the screws. Is there now a large connector difference?
Thanks.
As far as I know, the 3400c has the newer mounting screw configuration, so any drive made recently should fit just fine. The 5300, 190, and 2300 (don't know about the 1400) have the mount points in the wrong spot. It is possible to drill new holes for the screws, but the palm rest has pretty tight tolerances over the hard drive. Depending on where you drill the holes, it can interfere with the palm rest's placement and won't allow you to fully assemble the PowerBook. A countersink might be required.

I put my Wallstreet's measly 2GB drive into my 5300ce a while ago. It did require some drilling, but otherwise it worked fine.

Interestingly, the Lombard and Pismo require slim hard drives so some of the full-height 2.5" hard drives that work in the 3400c, Wallstreet, or 5300 won't even come close to fitting in a newer PowerBook. I think the requirement is that the drive be no higher than 9.5mm, but I could be wrong.

Peace,
Drew

--

Author of ClassicStumbler email: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> web: <http://www.alksoft.com/>