>Keep in mind that the 5300 can only work with hard drives in PIO
>Mode-4.  That should give a grand total of some 16 or so MB/s under
>ideal conditions.  Combined with the fact that the 5300 can't do any
>DMA (direct memory access) of any sort, has a very slow system bus
>(33 MHz) and a pokey CPU (100 - 117 MHz), you won't get much more
>benefit from anything modern over anything even 6 years old at 5400
>RPM.
>
>So, really, anything over 5400 RPM won't ever really be noticed.
>Newer drives that use DMA, UATA, ATA-6, whatever-fancy-feature aren't
>any better than your bog standard 5400 RPM IBM, Toshiba, Hitachi,
>whatever drive from 6 years ago.
>
>So don't go crazy and buy a spec'ed out new hard drive when another
>drive on the used market can save you $100.
>
>One thing that's nice about new drives is the _huge_ buffer.  8 MB of
>buffer can be nice when you are constantly accessing the same info.
>It can also help to keep power expenditure down.  Combined with
>setting the Mac OS's disk cache to some ridiculous value, you can
>really (being a relative term, of course) save battery life while on
>the road.
>
>Peace,
>Drew
>--

Thanks for the info,

I'm not really able to plunk down money on a new hard drive anyway, I was
going to put in one from a disassembled 4400, a Quantum Fireball ST2100.
I'm not sure of it's speed, but would like to see if it boosts the
performance a little.

Someone else mentioned that the 5300 runs cooler than a 3400.  Is that the
hard drive or the processor generating that heat?

Dan5300c