> <If I take an IBM formatted drive and drop it into my 5300, then start
> from an external hard drive, I should be able to use Apple's drive setup
> format it for Mac, right?>
>
> I can't see why not. I've gotten floppies which were IBM formatted and
> was able to Mac format them easily with the "Erase Disk" function applied
> to the floppies in question. So I don't see why Drive Setup used to
> similarly format an IBM formatted HD should be any less effective.

It's a little more complicated than that. Hard drives have much more stuff on them
than floppies, and one of those things is circuitry that says "I have been blessed
by Apple." If you are using unmodified Apple software, then it will refuse to
format "alien" hard drives.

As someone else noted, though, HD SC Setup has been hacked (the most popular being
version 7.3.5), and patches for it have been widely distributed. After applying the

patch, HD SC Setup will no longer care if the drive is Apple-branded.
Alternatively, you can use free formatting tools that are agnostic right out of the

box. For a great many HD resources (as well as many other valuable things), see
Gamba's terrific site: home.earthlink.net/~gamba2. [I have no affiliation with the
site; I'm just a fan.]

--
Prof. Thomas H. Lee
Center for Integrated Systems, CIS-205