Thank you all guys, but the 'book won't go to the net. I'm actually trying the 540c.

It's a US model (qwerty) with a french OS 8.1.

As I explained in my first message, my ADSL modem really is a routeur and DHCP server. So I only have to select DHCP in TCP/IP control board and that should do it.
But it still doesn't work.
The ethernet cables are OK, I can suspect the AAUI / Ethernet transceiver and or the ethernet port on the 'book itself.
I think I'll try next with a PCMCIA ethernet card. I fortunately got hold of a PCMCIA adapter for the 5xx series.

Do you have any advice on brands/models that works well with these powerbooks ?

Thanx a lot, I'll let you know if I find a solution and my next mail will (hopefully) be sent from my laptop.

Farid