At 11:11 AM -0400 7/2/04, Yersinia wrote:
Greetings fellow listers,

I'm not posting to annoy you with any problems with my PB 190 today.  :-)
 It's just that a subject that came up on the PCI list which made me
curious about something.

The PCI lister had mentioned that when he shut down his Mac (9600, OS
8.6) using the Shut Down command from the Special menu, the next time he
rebooted it, he got Rescued Items in the Trash. He posted to the list to
ask what that meant. I don't have this problem on either my PB (OS 7.5.2)
or my desktop Mac (G3/233, OS 8.1 or 9.1 depending on which boot disk I
choose), so I couldn't answer him, but it made me think about something
on my PB and I thought it would be more appropriate to ask you guys
instead of the PCI listers. It's not a critical matter, just one of
curiosity.

When I got my PB last year, there was a ReadMe or something in it
somewhere which said that the proper means of shutdown was to choose the
Shut Down command from the Apple menu, not the Special menu. So, now I'm
curious -- why is this? What's the difference between the Shut Down
command in the Apple menu and the one in the Special menu, and why would
the Powerbook instructions tell me I should use the one in the Apple menu
instead?

IIRC the ShutDown command in the Apple Menu was added to give another way to shut down. It was not intended as the primary or only way. Any method works just as well. You can also use the power key to do a shutdown.

The ShutDown in the Apple Menu is simply a small application which initiates a shut down. It most likely just passes a shut down command to Finder which is the same as using the Shutdown command in the Special menu.

No, no method is better (or for that matter different) than another. I routinely delete the Shutdown command under the Apple Menu in those versions of the OS that have it (it was eliminated in some later version).

BTW, I'd strongly recommend updating the PB's OS, 7.5.2 is arguably the buggiest Mac OS ever. You can download 7.5.3 free from Apple.
--
Clark Martin
Redwood City, CA, USA