The only way a Kanga could possibly be faster than a Wallstreet with a
G3/500 installed would be if the Wallstreet's L2 cache was somehow being
disabled. A G3 with a disabled cache is no faster than a 603e processor.

The Wallstreet has a faster front-side bus, faster RAM and a CPU clocked at
twice the Kanga's speed. It also uses a faster graphics accelerator. It
doesn't feel any faster to your wife because she's not using it for anything
where the added speed matters. Even a stock Wallstreet, unless it's that
awful cacheless "Mainstreet" version, will be faster than a Kanga.

Of course, there could be another reason. Was she using OS 9 on the Kanga
and OS X on the Wallstreet? A Kanga could probably run basic programs in OS
9 faster than a 500 MHz Wallstreet would run them in Jaguar.