As a couple of people have previous replied, it sounds like you have and Envisio NDA/30. The NDA/30 was a combination RAM and video card which could provide both a second display and mirroring for the PB 140 and 170. As I posted in another message, the driver is available from the Mac Driver Museum.

From the sounds of it, yours has 2mb on the Envisio plus a piggybacked Apple 2mb module for a total of 6. Apparently, the Envisio board could come with 0, 2, or 4mb of memory as I have seen both of the other two versions. This memory was *not* compatible with VM or with RamDoubler, so, in your case, 6mb is it.

Personally, while it is an interesting curiousity, you would be better served to remove it and install a proper 6mb module to bring the PB up to a full 8mb and the ability to use VM or RamDoubler.

<<<john>>>

Jack Countryman wrote:

I've got that PowerBook 170 here open now. It has a DB-15 connector on the
top of the left screen hinge.  I couldn't get anything to work there, so I
opened the PowerBook up to see what that was hooked to.  There is a 3.5 or
so inch square board in there sandwiched between the processor and memory
card, hooked to the main board via the memory slot.  The wires from the
DB-15 come down to a connector that looks to have been soldered to that
board, though they are how hanging loose, having broken away from where they
apparently should be soldered to that board.

The board has no name on it that I can see...so I have no idea where to go
looking for information on who made it or what it was supposed to do (second
monitor?  Ethernet?).   It does have notations on it a couple of places
about ram, and it is adding 2 meg of ram to the computer (6 meg total
showing in 'about this Macintosh' instead of 4 that shows up without that
board), so I guess leaving it in as a ram card is workable.  I confess, I'm
still intrigued as to what else it was supposed to do, though.

All information/ideas appreciated....  Since the DB-15 connector was used
for both monitors and ethernet in those days, and since monitors might use
more than six wires/connectors, would this more likely be ethernet than
video?  Or does the extra ram imply video?  Ideas on how to identify the
board, and find the software driver that would presumably be needed to get
it to work...especially if it is ethernet which would not have been part of
a normal system software install for a powerbook in those days).

I can take and send pictures of the extra board to folks if anyone is
interested or has ideas on how to identify it or get it to work.  Thanks.