> Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 16:46:29 -0400
> From: Fluxstringer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: Re: PCMCIA USB 2.0 card for Powerbook 1400c?

>>> Does anyone know of a PCMCIA USB 2.0 card that would work with my =93new=
> =94
>>> PowerBook 1400c. It=92s running Mac OS 8.6.
>>>
>>> I want to hook up an external USB HD.

> How about  an external SCSI to USB converter ?
>
> Or serial to USB ?
=============
Sorry, but the 1400 is a NuBus architecture machine, therefore USB was not a
possibility, and never will be. I see it could be bridged with special PCI
chipsets with their own memory, if you could stuff it all in there, but no
one is going to build such a highly specialized animal for a legacy machine,
which also has serious memory limitations, because there is simply no future
whatsoever in doing so.

I used mine daily, in fact I'm typing this on my 1400 right now. But I have
no illusions about its limitations. I use it for creating and storing files,
a little SuperCard work, and some internet stuff, but that's about it. I use
a 128mb flashcard for Virtual Memory to prevent some programs from crashing.

It's very reliable, though. I'll miss it when it's gone, but it keeps
truckin' along, albeit it operates like pouring molasses outdoors in winter.

Ken N.